EFDN STEM Football & Education Programme
The EFDN STEM Football & Education Programme is a pan-European project selected for financial support from UEFA Foundation for Children aiming to promote STEM Education amongst European youth. STEM – Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics – is the field that helps children learn how to program, make codes, and understand technological devices. Statistics tell us there are currently more than a million job vacancies in the STEM industry, while at the same time only 16% of college students graduate in STEM fields or subjects. Demand for STEM jobs increased three times between 2000 and 2010, and continues to grow, with many new fields and professions emerging each day. With the support of project partner Sphero and their supplemental resources, EFDN plans to deliver STEM Education programmes across Europe using the power of football to keep children engaged and committed to learning.
Project aims and objectives
- To assess existing activities via a range of research methods, including: primary research via interviews with key stakeholders and participating organisations, and secondary research via case study research and literature review.
- To test and develop the STEM Education Football Programme methodology in primary and secondary schools.
- To evaluate, adjust and further develop the methodology.
- To develop the STEM Education Football Programme training materials, local delivery plan, partnership plan and quality guidelines.
- To disseminate the STEM Education Football Programme Resources and organise a dissemination event in 2022.
- To develop and maintain an online platform with all programme resources.
- Morton in the Community (United Kingdom)
- PFC Ludogorets (Bulgaria)
- PSV Eindhoven (the Netherlands)
- Shakhtar Social (Ukraine)
- Newcastle United Foundation (United Kingdom)
- Feyenoord Rotterdam (the Netherlands)
- Aberdeen FC Community Trust (United Kingdom)
- Legia Foundation (Poland)
EFDN STEM Network
EFDN and partner Sphero have implemented a forward-thinking STEM Network to promote this field of study throughout the European football community. The EFDN STEM Network aims to engage EFDN member clubs, leagues and FAs who are keen to start their own journey of STEM Education for their club and community and want to be part of an alliance that will drive change and impact across Europe. EFDN and Sphero will host the first EFDN STEM Network Conference on 28 January, 2pm – 4pm (CET). Interested clubs, leagues and FAs can register here.