Welcome through Football (UEFA Foundation)
The Welcome through Football programme funded by UEFA Foundation for Children started on the 1st of January and will run through until June 2022, which includes 5 delivery phases.
The Welcome through Football methodology fosters the social inclusion and employability of young newly arrived immigrants and refugees. Therefore, our activities are promoting the quality of youth work, the intercultural dialogue and strengthen knowledge and acceptance of diversity in society.
Moreover, the project assists football coaches and youth workers in the development and sharing of effective methods in reaching out to the marginalised target group, in preventing racism and intolerance.
WELCOME THROUGH FOOTBALL HAS A 3 STEP PROCESS, WHICH IS:
- Socialisation to sports – providing different football offerings for young refugees of both genders related to their specific requirements such as language skills or the possibility of trauma.
- Socialisation in sports – working on team structure, giving more responsibility to the participants and offering additional steps out with the sports training sessions.
- Socialisation through sports – Focusing on the skills the participants learn from taking part in the available offers so that they qualify for further education in and outside of sports.
THE CLUBS PARTICIPATING IN THE PROJECT INCLUDE:
- Shakhtar Social
- Sheffield United Foundation
- Fundacao Benfica
- Naoberschap United (FC Emmen)
- Werder Bewegt
- Everton in the Community
- Apollon Limassol