Beacon of Light
Foundation of Light
Established in 2001 by former Sunderland AFC chairman Sir Bob Murray CBE, the mission of the Foundation of Light is simple: to improve lives through the power of football. The Foundation of Light has grown to become one of the most pioneering sports charities in the world, winning multiple awards for their ground-breaking sports, health, community and education programmes. The cross section of people they work with is unparalleled within t heir community; those they work with vary in age from 18 months to 80 years plus. They offer something for everyone, with programmes impacting health, behaviour, attitude, skills, knowledge and more. The foundation’s passionate, dedicated and highly skilled team includes professional teachers, health workers, coaches, family learning officers, youth workers and support staff based at offices and classrooms within the Beacon of Light and outreach centres throughout Sunderland, South Tyneside and County Durham.
Whilst the foundation is linked to SAFC, they are structurally and financially independent from the football club. This means, they are responsible for fundraising £4 million every year to run their life-changing programmes.
A Community where everyone has choice and the opportunity to improve their lives.
To Involve, Educate and Inspire through the power of football.
- We work as a team
- We are professional
- We are proud of what we do and dedicated to achieving our goals
- We are progressive and forward-thinking
- We are fully committed to achieving the best for our customers and communities
- We are passionate and enthusiastic
Vibrant. Committed. Respectful.
- Raise education attainment; inspire a love and commitment to lifelong learning.
- Increase skills and access to employment opportunities by connecting people to the world of work.
- Enable individuals and families to develop healthier and happier lives; support the development of vibrant and respectful communities.
- Provide more opportunities for inclusive sport and play, inspiring participation and achievement.
- Deliver high standards through a committed, highly skilled workforce and excellent leadership and governance.