FC Midtjylland was founded in 1999 and in 21 years has won the Danish championship three times; in 2015, 2018 and 2020, making it the most successful team in Denmark over the past five years. Since 2015, the club has been playing in Europa League qualification every year and in 2015 qualified for the group stages where they played against Napoli, Club Brügge and Legia Warszawa, qualifying for the next round along with Napoli where they beat Manchester United 2-1 at home and then lost at Old Trafford.
The Club has strong values and is much more than a football club. It truly believes that sport unifies despite culture, language and social status.
Through its Community Trust (FCM Samfund), FC Midtjylland cultivates and celebrates unity wanting to create well-being and togetherness. It is their goal to create an increased quality of life by helping and moving people to reach their life goals.
Through the strength of sport and the ability to engage and inspire, FC Midtjylland aims to make a difference. The club uses togetherness to strengthen social cohesion and create well-being. History shows that unity can move mountains and for FC Midtjylland it is about reaching out and making a difference for people in their region. The club works in harmony with other local clubs, to help improve the life of people in their community and to overcome societal challenges.
FC Midtjylland acknowledges the importance of interaction between volunteers, social associations, local and regional companies and the local authorities.
FC Midtjylland is involved in several CSR programmes:
- FCM Club collaboration: All clubs in FCM Club collaboration are automatically involved in sporting cooperation. The collaboration includes a host of sporting opportunities such as experiences for children, weekly coaching courses, FCM Football School etc.
- Lose and win: “Lose and win” is a weight loss programme for men and women that goes beyond only weight loss. It aims to facilitate social inclusion. The programme includes workshops about health guidance, how to train properly but also an invitation to a match of FC Midtjylland for all the participants. The project runs for 12 weeks in collaboration with the 136 FC Midtjylland partner clubs. As a result, 80% of the women have continued to meet up at the club and do their practice.
- Together on the field: A programme dedicated to helping young people improve their health and wellbeing through classes that teach diet, fitness, perseverance and motivation. It aims to facilitate social inclusion through group activities and most importantly teaches participants how they can inspire themselves and help others through mutual support and participation. It is our hope that the participants will be inspired to utilise what they learn in the programme to aid their communities.
- Christmas-help: “Christmas-help” is a programme that helps poor families by offering kids FC Midtjylland training clothes, sports bags, footballs, towels, a ticket to a Superliga match and most importantly, one-year free subscription to the local football club. The goal of this programme is to help families feel more included in their communities and welcome in sports.
To support their different projects, FC Midtjylland leans on:
- 136 cooperative clubs
- 5,000 volunteers
- 568 regular participants
FC Midtjylland CSR work has an impact in:
- Over 10 municipalities
- 240,000 households
- 570,000 inhabitants
FCM Samfund and the UN Sustainable Development Goals:
FC Midtjylland has aligned its work with the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The projects of FC Midtjylland are particularly relevant to three main goals:
- No poverty: Sport can develop transferable skills and toolkits which play a key role in a self-reliant and sustainable life and lead to income-generating activities and economic participation. It can advocate for ending poverty as well as generate funds and facilitate partnerships.
- Good health and well-being: Through sport, individuals can adopt active lifestyles that enhance well-being, health and prevent diseases, particularly noncommunicable diseases. Sport can be a successful tool for health, education and awareness raising towards healthy lives, especially among hard-to-reach individuals and communities.
- Partnerships for the goals: The global reach, unmatched popularity and universal character of sport make it a versatile means of implementation. Sport can pool resources, create synergies and build multi-stakeholders networks and partnerships for sustainable development and peace goals by bringing together a wide variety of actors.
FC Midtjylland has built strong partnerships with DK Company and Alpi Danmark , which support FCM Samfund through financial donations. Nike is the FC Midtjylland sponsor and funds the FCM Samfund Christmas Help Programme with material donations (clothes and bag).