FC Shakhtar Donetsk
Football Club Shakhtar is a Ukrainian professional football club from the city of Donetsk. Starting in 2014 the club has played (first) out of Lviv before moving early 2017 to Kharkiv with its headquarters in Kyiv.
Shakhtar has appeared in several European competitions and is often a participant of the UEFA Champions League. The club became the first club in independent Ukraine to win the UEFA Cup in 2009, the last year before the competition was revamped as the Europa League. FC Shakhtar Donetsk is one of two Ukrainian clubs, the other one is Dynamo Kyiv, who have won a major UEFA competition. The club formerly played its home matches at the Donbass Arena, however, due to the conflict in Eastern Ukraine, the team relocated 600 miles to the west in Arena Lviv in the interim. Following the winter break of the 2016–17 season the club moved to the Metalist Stadium in Kharkiv (150 miles to the north of Donetsk) early 2017. Shakhtar Donetsk is Ukraine’s most popular football club. The club is the sole favorite of football fans in the Donbas.
Corporate Social Responsibility: Shaktar Social
Shakhtar Social is a non-profit organization created by FC Shakhtar Donetsk to implement the corporate social policy of the club. The foundation’s major activities are health, education, gender equality, social inclusion, charity. Projects of Shakhtar Social implemented in accordance with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) of 17 strategic goals, three of them are the main priority:
- Goal 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning
- Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Shakhtar Social Foundation develop activities in the following areas:
- Health: Shakhtar Social carries out the “Come on, Let’s play!” social project, aiming at the development of children’s grassroots football and at promoting healthy lifestyle.
- Education: Shakhtar Social delivers social training programs to volunteer coaches for children’s grassroots football.
- Gender Equality: Shakhtar Social collaborates with the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) to support gender equality and major family values.
- Social Inclusion: Shakhtar Social creates proper conditions for football development among the people with special needs.
- Charity: Shakhtar Social implements the charitable initiatives to aid the Kharkiv Regional Children’s Hospital No. 1.
FC Shakhtar Donetsk’s Programme