Football Club Shakhtar is a Ukrainian professional football club from the city of Donetsk. Starting in 2014, the club has moved to play in Lviv before moving early 2017 to Kharkiv. The headquarters are located in Kyiv.
FC Shakhtar has appeared in several European competitions and the club is a regular participant of the UEFA Champions League. FC Shakhtar became the first club in Ukraine to win the UEFA Cup in 2009, the last year before the competition was revamped as the Europa League. FC Shakhtar Donetsk is one of two Ukrainian clubs, who have won a major UEFA competition. The club formerly played its home matches at the Donbass Arena, however, due to the conflict in Eastern Ukraine, the team relocated 1260 kilometers to the west in Arena Lviv. Following the winter break of the 2016–17 season the club moved to the Metalist Stadium in Kharkiv (305 kilometers to the north from Donetsk) early 2017. Shakhtar Donetsk is Ukraine’s most popular football club. FC Shakhtar Donetsk is the favorite club of football fans in the Donbas region.
FC Shakhtar Donetsk created its own subsidiary Charity Organization ‘Shakhtar Social’ in 2018. The Charity Organization ‘Shakhtar Social’ took over the management and control of the club’s social projects.
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: SHAKHTAR SOCIAL
Shakhtar Social is a foundation established by FC Shakhtar with a purpose to implement club’s social responsibility policy. The foundation’s major activities are health, education, gender equality, social inclusion, charity. Projects of Shakhtar Social implemented in accordance with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) of 17 strategic goals, three of them are the main priority:
- Goal 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning
- Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Shakhtar Social Foundation develops activities in the following areas:
- Health: Shakhtar Social carries out the “Come on, Let’s play!” social project, aiming at the development of children’s grassroots football and at promoting a healthy lifestyle.
- Education: Shakhtar Social delivers social training programs to volunteer coaches for children’s grassroots football.
- Gender Equality: Shakhtar Social collaborates with the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) to support gender equality and major family values.
- Social Inclusion: Shakhtar Social creates proper conditions for football development among people with special needs.
- Charity: Shakhtar Social implements the charitable initiatives to aid the Kharkiv Regional Children’s Hospital No. 1.
FC Shakhtar Donetsk’s Programme