Premier League – Premier League Inspires
Premier League Inspires is an education programme, newly introduced in 2019, developed by the Premier League and professional football clubs. The programme is aimed at young people aged between 11-25 and brings together learnings from previous PL programmes such as PL Enterprise, PL Works as well as the Prince’s Trust Achieve course.
Young people today face a variety of ever-evolving challenges, with more than ever experiencing mental health issues. Teachers and practitioners in secondary schools and the education sector face multiple pressures and each school has differing priorities, including in approach to pastoral care, behaviour management and emotional support.
Responding to such needs, 30 professional football clubs across the Premier League and EFL are now supported to deliver PL Inspires at their stadiums, in local schools and at alternative educational settings; with partnership support from The Professional Footballers Association and the Prince’s Trust.
The programme vision is:
To use the appeal of the Premier League and professional football clubs to support 11-25-year olds who are marginalised or at risk of not reaching their potential; supporting them as they move through the education system and early adulthood.
With a mission statement to:
To inspire children and young people to develop the personal skills and positive attitudes to succeed in life.
PL Inspires stated aims are to:
- Ensure that children and young people feel inspired and engaged;
- Enhance the wellbeing of children and young people;
- Improve children and young peoples’ personal and practical skills, and awareness of business / careers;
- Support participants engagement using the theme of football and sport to improve their attitude, relationships and behaviour – increasing their ability to achieve their goals;
- Increase participants confidence, self-esteem, teamwork and communication skills;
- Support schools and alternative educational establishments to keep pupils present and committed, whilst encouraging others to re-engage with school life;
- Support participants in/into training, education and employment opportunities;
- Create opportunities for students to give back to their school and/or local community.