GNK Dinamo – Feel the game = See the game
In May 2017, the game between GNK Dinamo and Istria 1961 saw the premiere of “Feel the game = See the game”, a project for blind and partially sighted fans.
With the help of special receivers and handsets, the fans listened to the description of every visual aspects of the game, from details of the game itself to the atmosphere around the stadium. The commentators described them all for them to feel everything they could not see.
Besides the sports commentator for the game, GNK Dinamo asked sport journalists to join and provide audio-description. First team member Ivan Fiolić also joined the commentary.
”Feel the game = See the game” was a success. This was the first of its kind in the history of Croatia. GNK Dinamo was able to integrate blind and partially sighted fans into the club and community. Additionally, the club raised awareness of obstacles that blind fans are facing on a daily basis.
Even though this is a common practice for blind and partially sighted fans in some other European and world clubs, it was a huge step and a special achievement for GNK Dinamo. The main objective was reached. The club succeeded in giving their blind and partially sighted fans the feeling that their disability does not exist.
”Feel the game = See the game” was nominated for the 2017 ECA CSR Award for the Best Community & Social Responsibility Programme.
Additionally, after starting this project, the Croatian Football Federation decided to organize the same event at some national team matches.
From 2017 to 2021, 21 audio descriptions of Dinamo matches were broadcasted.
- The project was launched in 2017 in cooperation with the Zagreb Association of the Blind and the City of Zagreb.
- Experienced narrators and sports commentators take part in the broadcasts
- Audio description means a special broadcast of the match with the description of all the details (space, events, course of the game, players, atmosphere)
- Blind and partially sighted fans listen to the live broadcast of the match via headphones and wireless receivers at the Maksimir Stadium
- In 2017, the project was included in the top 7 European projects by the European Club Association (ECA)
- GNK Dinamo is the first Croatian football club to introduce audio description for its blind and partially sighted fans
- The project is funded by GNK Dinamo
- In December 2020 the club has organized ONLINE ADC for the first time (UEFA Europa league game GNK Dinamo vs CSKA Moscow)