Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
This overview addresses sport’s role and potential in relation to the twelfth Sustainable Development Goal (SDG). It outlines the contribution of sport to ensure sustainable consumption and production pattern. The overview aims at informing, inspiring, encouraging and supporting sport’s contributions to the SDGs by football clubs, foundations, community trusts, football associations and leagues.
- Sport can advocate for and contribute to provide inclusive, safe, green and cohesive settlements which are usable for sport and other physical activities. Affordable and accessible sport infrastructures, facilities and related services can contribute to creating inclusive, safe and healthy communities.
- Sport can promote the use of public spaces where diverse populations and marginalised community members can interact and create friendly relations. Sport can reduce antisocial behaviour through the provision of facilities and opportunities in areas affected by poverty, disengagement and low social development.
- Sport can be used to integrate refugees and migrants into communities. Refugee camps, Internally Displaced People locations, and urban locations can include people of all ages, ethnicities and origins.
- Sport can raise awareness with regard to equal rights and inclusive settlements for people with disabilities, the elderly, women and girls, and other vulnerable groups and individuals.
- Sport can help eliminate obstacles and barriers in the environment, transportation, public facilities and services to ensure that people facing those barriers such as persons with disabilities can access sport and physical activities.
- Sport can enhance the sustainable development of cities by building facilities with the most enhanced resource and energy efficiency, and by assessing policies and procedures with procurement standards labelling.
Click on one of the icons below to learn more about each goal and how sport can contribute to achieving that goal.