Goal 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
This overview addresses sport’s role and potential in relation to the sixth Sustainable Development Goal. It outlines the contribution of sport to ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all. The overview aims at informing, inspiring, encouraging and supporting sport’s contributions to the SDGs by football clubs, foundations, community trusts, football associations and leagues.
- Sport can be an effective educational platform for disseminating messages on water sanitation requirements and management. Educational messages regarding sanitation and hygiene can be transmitted through sport programmes.
- Sport and sport facilities can contribute to targets on water and sanitation by respecting standards and recommendations.
- Access to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene for all can be enhanced through sport settings such as sport facilities adequately equipped to this end. Water-use efficiency can be increased in the sport sector, particularly in sport facilities.
- Improvements in water quality by reducing pollution, dumping and wastewater can be promoted and realised in sport contexts such as aquatic and other sport events.
- Sport can raise awareness on the importance to limit or ban single-use plastic and micro- beads and develop campaigns and initiatives to educate and change the behaviours of spectators and consumers.
Click on one of the icons below to learn more about each goal and how sport can contribute to achieving that goal.