Goal 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
This overview addresses sport’s role and potential in relation to the seventeenth and final Sustainable Development Goal (SDG). It outlines the contribution of sport to strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable development. The overview aims at informing, inspiring, encouraging and supporting sport’s contributions to the SDGs by football clubs, foundations, community trusts, football associations and leagues.
- The global reach, unmatched popularity, wide appeal, universal character and value-based foundation of sport, as well as its particular association with youth, make it a versatile means of implementation.
- Sport can catalyse, build and strengthen multi-stakeholder networks and partnerships for sustainable development and peace goals, involving and bringing together governments, donors, NGOs, sport organisations, the private sector, academia and the media.
- The presence and diversity of sport and sport organisations on local, national, regional and international levels can provide effective networks for partnerships and implementation of programmes.
- Sport can serve as a link between different sectors which can address a wide variety of topics, pool resources and create synergies.
- The sport, development and peace communities can contribute to collaboratively measuring progress of sustainable development by assessing and reporting on the contributions of sport to the SDGs.
Click on one of the icons below to learn more about each goal and how sport can contribute to achieving that goal.